Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Peanut - 4


Peanut turned 4 this past week and I thought I'd steal from brood mama and write him a letter...

Peanut, my best boy, you are amazing. As a friend recently said- you do everything with your whole heart. There is so much happiness and excitement inside of you and you live at a pace a touch faster than anyone else. Your upsets are the same way: quick, enthusiastic and often distractable.

You want to be friends with everyone but have your feelings hurt easily. I worry about people crushing your light, especially myself. Everyday is a challenge to make sure you are supported, not smothered and guided, not caged. As someone who is more likely to evenly plod through life I am protective and usually overwhelmed by your running, skipping, crab-walking, dragging, worm-slithering gait. 

You love pretending. You love animals. You are almost always pretending to be some animal and you are very particular about how they, and everyone else, should behave.

My boy you are SO social! And not just with children. You are just as comfortable talking some adults ear off as you are playing with their kid. I recently watched you at the park convince a woman to leave her lunchtime power walk to push you on the swing. And after she said she had to get back you followed her for a lap so you could continue your conversation. Deciding to homeschool you was a decision I didn't take lightly for this reason. Luckily you love your church and dance friends.

You are a great, if often overly enthusiastic, brother. You love your sister and are quick to help, play with, and laugh with her. She lights up for you as for no one else. As she gets older and more able to hold her own I see only great things for the two of you.

Peanut you often see things in black and white, to the point we have had to cut off all superhero shows etc. I hope you can learn to reserve some compassion for people you feel have done wrong. You are protective of your friends, which I love!, but I worry you villianize good people making bad choices. Please remember to be kind to both the underdog and the bully, they often are secret underdogs.

I want to be careful of this next part because I honestly believe that thinking of yourself as a hard worker will serve you better than thinking of yourself as a genius will...but Peanut you are so smart! You know more about dinosaurs, and mosasaurs, and mammal-like reptiles than anyone outside of career scientists. You have your Bapa's love of facts and tidbits and at least some of my concept organizing. You really can learn anything you want to and I hope you choose to learn both deeply and varied.

Peanut you were not a cuddly baby; you wanted to be up looking around and experiencing life. But luckily for me you have changed your tune. You love to touch and be touched and cuddled and wrestled and squeezed. This is the thing about the you you are right now I'm most afraid to lose as you grow up. Keep cuddling me and Bapa and Little Cat- we need you!

Oh one last thing to make sure you are thoroughly embarrassed one day (you have no sense of embarrassment now)- you are always naked! And I mean ALWAYS. You may have to base your career choices on which require the least amount of fabric.

Love, Mama

No comments: