Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Balance???

So on Saturday I got up early and read, then cooked breakfast (egg scramble with zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, olives and cheese- and tomatoes on mine) and then made Nate get up and eat breakfast. He went back to bed and I read a little more and at least contemplated doing the dishes. After all this strenuous activity I felt I needed a nap. So Nate went out to mow the law and I went back to bed (it was my last weekend before school started again!!!).

A couple hours later Nate woke me up and to go stalk Lance, his brother-in-law. It seems Nate was driving by the local skate park and saw Lance there and wanted to go hang out with him. I asked (perfectly reasonably), "Is Emily there?" (Emily is Lance's wife and Nate's sister). Nate said he didn't know. I asked (again very reasonably), "Did Lance invite you to hang out or are we just stalking him?". Nate said we were just stalking him....well OK.


Emily and Lance- the tempters

So we went to the skate park.

It turns out Emily was there and had been the whole time, but apparently Nate only had eyes for Lance. So we chatted with them both. Then they talked me into sitting on the skateboard and going down the big ramp. The last (and really only) time I had ever been on a skateboard was in kindergarten and my 'boyfriend' would let me sit on his skateboard while he pushed me. So overall this seemed reasonable so I did it. I fell off the back a couple times before I got it right (wow I'm way fatter and less fit-able on a skateboard than I was in kindergarten) but it never hurt and I finally got it. Yes I am that cool. Oh, also I had the help of two 10 year oldish cute little black kids helping me.

So after that I went back to chat with everyone, pleased with my athletic skills.

Then they decided I could go down the smaller ramp standing up. Now I was riding high on my previous victory and so I agreed to try. WHY DIDN'T I REMEMBER I HAVE NO BALANCE??? I'm serious! I've been doing yoga for several years and last Spring took a class with a friend of mine, Aubrey. She had way better balance than me and she was like 8 months pregnant!

Anyway so I tried. The two boys giving me pointers again, even offering to catch me (as if their 75 lbs combined could break my fall). So I tried once, and fell. It didn't hurt so I got up and tried again. This time it hurt real bad!!! In fact, if I didn't think the 10 year olds would make fun of me I would have stayed on the ground crying. But I had my pride and so I got up and tried again and this time I made it!!! I went down the little ramp without falling. I'm practically a professional skateboarder.

So long story short, all this weekend and the beginning of this week my whole left side has been crazy bruised and I have been very whiny about it. What made it worse was that on Sunday when we went to pick up Nate's mom for church she had a crazy bruise around her eye. She was in her kitchen, slipped and since she had stuff in her hands hit her face first on the floor. Crazy!!!

So the moral of the story is...I'm not sure. That I should just expect that I'm going to be clutzy the rest of my life? Not to trust lance and Emily? Don't stalk your brother-in-law?

4 comments:

Dina said...

Sounds like a fun weekend...except the falling down part. But don't worry at least you made it down, I don't think I could ever do that no matter how many times I tried

Aubrey said...

Brandie - you crack me up! We should do yoga again this semester...

L said...

Yeah!!! I need to do an evening class though, since my lunch break is back to being used up for classes.

Anonymous said...

Um I did not go back to bed. After breakfast I wen out and mowed then worked on my truck. Get the story right.