Bleachers by John Grisham - this is our Book Club book this month and it was way better than I expected it to be. I'm familiar with John Grisham as a lawyer, political thriller writer, which isn't really my genre. But this book was about a high school football player coming home for his couch's funeral. It was wonderfully written and I would definitely call it a Man's Sniffle Book. Loved it.
Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs - I swear this woman can do no wrong to me. I love EVERYTHING she writes. This is the first of a duology, but can be read alone since it wraps up quite nicely. It's about a boy... oh I won't do it justice. Here's a blurb from googlebooks, "To protect himself from his abusive father, Ward of Hurog has spent a lifetime convincing everyone that he is a fool, but now, with his father's death, Ward becomes the new lord of Hurog and must quickly prove himself worthy of the title to keep his throne." Way good. I'll definitely read the 2nd one.
The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop - These were a reread. A trilogy consisting of Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows and Queen of the Darkness. "Ancient prophecies have foretold the coming of a powerful witch, one who would in reality be not a mere human female but "dreams made flesh," nothing short of Witch herself. She comes in the form of a tremendously brave little girl, whom we first meet at the age of 12 or so when she comes to Hayll seeking instruction in the Craft from none other than Saetan himself. Human beings don't just come over into the land of the demon-dead, and Saetan quickly recognizes who this young girl truly is and will become. "
I love the premise and story but somehow the ending always disappoints me a little. After I read these Nate read them and felt about the same I do. You get drawn in but 3 books later you're pretty emotional exhausted and just want a darn happy ending for your troubles. You get sacrifice and compromise- probably more realistic but not as satisfying.
However, I just heard there are 4 more books set in the same world, one written as in between the original 2nd and 3rd. I think I'll try them and see if they help me feel more settled. Over all recommended but they do deal with abuse (including sexual) so at your own risk.
Dead Over Heels by Charlaine Harris - The 5th Aurora Teagarden book. I really like these. They're cute mysteries without too much stress but a lot of real emotions (which are usually less dramatic). I read this one on an hour at Hastings and it was the perfect way to relax for a bit.
Playing with Fire by Katie MacAlister - cute paranormal romance. Very fun if a little questionable. The 2nd one is out and I'll definitely get it. I read all the other Aisling Grey series that led to this series spin off.
Snakecharm by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes - This is the 2nd book in the Kiesha'ra series. It's what I'm currently reading and since it's so small it'll be done today I'm sure. It looks to be as good as Hawksong, the first book in the series.
No comments:
Post a Comment