Saturday, November 14, 2009

It's a Test

OK so it's been way too long since I've blogged (no internet at home remember...) to actually catch up on everything going on with me, Ox and Peanut. However the birth experience was amazing so I've prepared a short exam to see how well you know what happened...(this picture to help remind you it was all worth it)

1. L has been in early labor (reasonably regular, mild/medium intensity contractions) all day. It is 8pm and she's exhausted. She...

  • a. goes to bed immediately

  • b. putters around getting things ready for the baby and is in bed by 9ish

  • c. decides to make sure she's exhausted (so she can sleep through the contractions when they get worse) and stays up playing games until midnight

2. T/F In triage L is asked not only the same questions she came in weeks earlier to answer (about smoking, medical history etc) but is also asked if she is experiencing any pain (at this point she has been in labor for about 24 hours). The nurse does not find her sarcastic "yes" amusing.

3. Which of the following people were with L pretty much the entire time through labor and delivery (even though the hospital told her beforehand the max was 4 people):

  • a. Ox

  • b. L's Dad, Papa Shawn

  • c. L's Sister, Wendy

  • d. L's Sister, Hillary

  • e. L's Friend, Amanda

  • f. All of the above

4. Ox, as L's birth coach, was:

  • a. distracted and bored

  • b. scared and grossed out

  • c. irritated and snappy

  • d. amazing and supportive

5. While L labored those in the room performed which of the following services:

  • a. getting water/ice/juice

  • b. rubbing L's feet/back/side

  • c. being back support to lean against

  • d. letting L use them to brace her legs against during contractions

  • e. all of the above

6a. T/F L did not allow any kind of pain medication during labor or delivery

6b. If 6a is T, which of the following did L do in the midst of labor pains:

  • a. hit a nurse

  • b. throw the water cup when offered to her for the 8,000th time

  • c. scream "this is all your fault" or "we're never having sex again" at Ox

  • d. ask for pain medication

  • e. tell Ox she was tired and "it was his turn"

  • f. stab someone with a needle for talking during a contraction

7. To allow for the possible emergency need of fluids or medications, L had:

  • a. an IV

  • b. a hep lock

  • c. nothing

8. The shower in the birthing room was:

  • a. relaxing

  • b. warm

  • c. like icy needles

9. T/F Instead of wearing a hospital gown, L wore her own dress from home. It has been washed and worn repeatedly since.

10. T/F After watching Peanut's birth, L's sisters and friend, Amanda, are all very excited to get pregnant.


Answers: 1. C 2. T 3. F 4. D 5. E 6a. T 6b. E (although f was threatened) 7. B 8. C 9. T 10. F!!! :)

4 comments:

Plum said...

I got 100%! Go me! Though F is almost an acceptable answer for 6b.

Anonymous said...

I got a hundred too. Hurray us. Though I fully agree with Amanda. I remember all of the above happening on 6b. I still have the needle mark, and the broken fingers are still healing.
Hillary

whitney said...

Go you! for a natural birth! I went natural w/Scarlett and it was, by far, my favorite birth (epi w/Georgia and Ez was a c/s).

As for the rest of the questions...honey, do I hear ya! I have a long slow start-up w/my labors too and it's just exhausting! I wouldn't have blamed you a bit if you had blown up and stabbed someone w/a needle (but thank heavens you didn't ;).

Aubrey said...

Oh - I got most right. And I'm so amazed (although not really surprised) that you handled everything so well, and somewhat secretly jealous. Ah man, it's not a secret anymore. :)

Seriously girl, you are my hero.