It all started with me forgetting my wallet. I hadn't packed a lunch yesterday and then I forgot my wallet so there was no way for me to buy food. I mean, I could have asked my boss to loan me money but... Anyway I figured I was safe because we were having Food Day at work to celebrate Fat Tuesday. Food Days at my work are usually way over the top (owing to the fact that I work with a million old ladies).So I decided it wasn't all that bad- I could just graze off of food day to get through the day and have a really good dinner when I got home. The problem was Food Day sucked yesterday! There was hardly any food and the stuff that was there didn't look that appetizing. Not good. I looked around for a while and finally decided on a rice and sausage mixture in a crock pot. It wasn't bad (wasn't really good either) but I figured I'd at least gotten something to tide me over til dinner.
Later I got thirsty so I drank some of the pink grapefruit juice I keep at the office and ate a couple of rice cakes.
Around 230 Nate and I were emailing back and forth and I told him we needed to make something really good for dinner since all I'd had was some rice and sausage and grapefruit juice. He emailed back asking what I wanted. I was in the middle of replying that I honestly couldn't think of anything that sounded good and I was starting to feel really sick when it hit me...
You know, the back of the throat mouth watering that is your body telling you it needs to get rid of something in your stomach??? I got up and started walking toward the bathroom (I can't ever remember a time I wasn't able to make it to the bathroom. Most of the time I don't even really vomit- I just salivate for a while, spit and feel better).
I few steps from my desk it happens. I start vomiting. I keep my mouth closed and start walking very quickly toward the bathroom. It's literally 20 feet from where I am- just across the hall. I am still vomiting over and over again in my mouth. Finally it is too much to hold in such a small space. It explodes out of my mouth about 7 feet from the bathroom door.
I retch over and over in the hall, not able to move to take myself any farther. I am literally bend over at the waist watching the customer service desk at my work as I continually vomit without being able to stop.
Finally it slows enough I can move. I run to the bathroom, get to a toilet and vomit a few more times. The sweet voice of some poor student probably scared out of her wits asks me if I want some paper towels. I say yes please. She brings me a whole stack. These is especially sweet since we have on of those motion sensor paper towel dispensers, which means she had to stand there, wave her hand, wait, wave her hand again...over and over. Nice girl. I try to say thank you without scaring her.
I wipe off my face as best I can and stand up. I go to the sink and then realize things are much worse than I expected. There is vomit everywhere on me. My sweater is literally covered in it. My sleeves, front, pants, shoes, face are all soaked in puke. I am actually amazed. This has never happened to me. I rinse out my mouth, wipe off my face and try to decide what to do with the rest of me. I rub a paper towel over my pants and decide they'll live.
My sweater however... it's all I wore today. It's been semi-warm so I decided I could get away with a sweater without a t-shirt underneath. I try to rub at it with a paper towel. That's obviously not going to work. Finally I give in and take it off completely. I put it in the sink and start rinsing it out.
About this time a woman that works in my office walks into the bathroom. She goes to the toilet, comes out, goes to the sink farthest away from me washes her hands and leaves. She never says one word to me! I mean she's not in my department but we see each other on a regular, probably daily basis. Next, same thing happens with a lady that is in my office. Someone I work with and talk to regularly. I once went downstairs to get her a drink because her feet were hurting her and the elevator was offline.
Finally a lady who works at the desk behind me comes in. She asks if I'm ok etc. I say I am but ask her to make sure the custodians are called to clean up the mess in the hall. She leaves. Around this time I've gotten my sweater as clean as it's going to get. I walk back from my desk and meet my boss who was on her way to check on me. She tells me to go home- even offers to drive me, even though I live over 35 miles away. I tell her I'll make it and if not I'll make Nate come get me. I leave, drive home take over everything that smells of vomit and go to bed.
Fast forward to this morning. I get into work late, can't find a parking spot, have to walk really far and then get to enjoy the embarrassment of walking by the wet spot in the carpet. Around 11 two of the young guys in my office walk by on my way to lunch. They say, "What's up Puke Dog?". Seriously.
It was probably the thing that made my day the best. They then share stories of my experience- including the fact that one of them watched my from customer service and didn't do anything cause he wasn't sure it was me. They talk about how one girl slipped in it cause she was too busy texting to pay attention. Of how the custodian got here, was grossed out, left and they had to call another custodian. All of this thankfully after I was gone.
And lastly they say one cute little girl made the comment, "At least it's a nice coral color..."
4 comments:
Brandi,
Your stories make me laugh! I am sorry though that you had to experience that. Knowing you, you will be laughing about it soon. Hope the rest of your week goes well.
It's like the story of the Good Samaritan, how everyone passed on by the other side. :( At least you didn't loose control of your bowels too. That happened to me once...I can't believe I'm telling.
I'm going to call you Puke Dog for the next four years.
You poor thing - and how rude of everyone in that office, especially since I know half the people in that office. And the other half are the rude jerks they hired to replace the really nice people they got rid of... okay that was harsh. Anyway, I hope you are feeling better.
Post a Comment