Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Instead we...

Well last Tuesday was supposed to be 'Clean the Bathroom Day', instead I took Peanut and his cousin Madi to the OKC Science Museum.


First, the ride there. I'll admit it was the hardest part. If you don't know I live 35 miles from Rachel (and Madi). So Peanut and I drove there, picked up Madi, dropped off books due at the library, dropped off promised bread at the Institute and then finally got on the freeway for the 60 mile (hour and 15 min) drive to the Museum. By Guthrie (30ish minutes from Stillwater) the kids were already done. 

Madi was quiet and grumpy. Peanut was loud and grumpy and had somehow managed to get his arms stuck awkwardly in the car set straps.




Luckily I had a few tricks (and treats) up my sleeve. We stopped at a gas station, got out the satsumas Rachel had packed and readjusted toys and snacks (and Peanut's arms). 

On our way...again.

However once we got to the museum everything went wonderfully. Both kids were amazingly well behaved and stayed close and played a lot and went to the bathroom when they were supposed to, and LISTENED. I don't ever expect this to happen again but it was a marvelous one-time occurrence.


They played together which was wonderful and unexpected. We love having cousins around but the one problem has been slight bullying. Madi bullies Peanut, Peanut bullies Cal etc. Thankfully everyone is soft with Baby Katie Mae. 

But on this trip no bullying or grumping. Hallelujah!

They played in the water, had their faces painted (note: I am not a professional face painter) and just seemed to have a great time. 



At one point we tried to see a show but it was more geared toward older kids so Peanut was bored and Madi got was scared (it was about explosions). So instead we went and had lunch.

(insert missing lunch pictures here)

After lunch we played for about an hour longer and then packed up and headed home. I love the freedom of a yearly pass! No feeling bad about only going for a half day- especially since kids this little can't stand more than that.

On the way home we stopped at Freddy's Frozen Custard to see my sister, Wendy. I got Peanut and Madi one mini vanilla custard with gummy bears to split. The mess Peanut made with his half was incomprehensible. He honestly got more custard on him than there was in his cup- I'm sure of it. We ended up striping off his shirt. Yes, I was that mom.



Madi chose to be the good child and ate carefully while coloring her picture. She was super excited when the manger posted it immediately. 




Then the ride home, where blissfully both children fell asleep. All in all a wonderful day. I can't decide if I should do it again because it went so well or leave it a perfect memory...



2 comments:

Hillary said...

Yay! That was super cute. I can't wait to see Peanut again, he is so adorable. But yeah... your face painting skills need a little work.

Aubrey said...

Do it again and invite me next time! The Science museum looks way cooler than when I was younger. Glad everything went relatively well.

P.S. Inviting me and my rugrats will make other kids look like angels, therefore preserving the perfect memory.