Monday, August 13, 2012

Least Favorite/Favorite

 A Least Favorite Chore


I don't like to clean my house. I don't find it relaxing or centering or refreshing or whatever else you 'like to clean my house' people find it. But there are some chores that I just do and aren't a big deal, and some chores that I really dislike ie the bathroom is an 'I don't mind that much chore', even the toilet.

However....

We don't have a dishwasher. I know, Bono should be told about my situation and some sort of relief fund should be set up in my name. But it's not even the dishes that are so bad (although they are not an 'I don't mind chore')- it's cleaning that blasted dish strainer that makes me contemplate burning down my house to avoid .

Why is it so difficult to clean? Why does dust and dirt and who-knows-what hide in every corner and crevice? How can I get up the enthusiasm to wash dishes when what I'm putting them in looks gross? I can't. And so before doing dishes I have to wash the strainer which makes washing dishes even less appealing. Sometimes I contemplate buying a darker color strainer so that even if it's not any cleaner, at least I don't notice it at much. You can be embarrassed of me.

A Favorite Recipe


Last night as we were going to sleep I asked Peanut if he would like muffins for breakfast. He said yes and then Ox piped up and mentioned casually (not really) that he'd love if I got up and had muffins ready for him to eat before work. So I did. I got up when Ox's alarm went off at 6 am and baked some of my favorite muffins. The absolute best part about it was that this recipe makes a ton of muffins and the batter can sit in your fridge for up to 6 weeks. So I really did only have to bake the muffins this morning, not make everything from scratch. Plus they're super delicious and pretty healthy.

6 Week Bran Muffins

2 c boiling water
5 t baking soda
1 c shortening
2 1/2 c sugar
4 eggs, beaten
6 c bran cereal
1 quart buttermilk
5 c flour
2 t salt
3 c stuff (raisins, nuts, craisins etc) - optional

Mix boiling water with baking soda. Let cool.

Cream shortening with sugar. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Fill greased or papered muffin tins.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

You only need to make a dozen, or even less, muffins at a time. The rest of the batter goes in a air tight bowl in the fridge. DO NOT stir batter once you've refrigerated it. Then you scoop out and bake as needed. Marvelous!

Note: These are also excellent mini muffins. Just decrease cooking time to around 12 minute. Peanut loves them as mini muffins and when I brought them to church for the nursery class (18 mth to 3 year olds) the kids gobbled them up.

Note: I love these hot from the oven with peanut butter on top.

1 comment:

LauraD said...

I get what you mean about cleaning out the dish drainer. Sometimes that is the worst part. I try to keep ours clean, but sometimes, well, it's just a pain.

We hand-wash too. But we chose that lifestyle for lots of fun reasons. :)