Friday, June 27, 2008

Favorite Author Fridays - Kelly Armstrong



Kelly Armstrong is another modern vampire/werewolf fantasy author. I really like her books. I would say they were another step in maturity above Patricia Briggs but still well below Laurel K. One of the things I love about her is her use of her website. She has monthly contests and journals, discussion boards and just over all tons of stuff. She's very available to her readers without letting them take over her life. She used to have several short stories up online but her publisher decided to put them into a book and so made her take them down.

Another thing she does that I really love is that she switches lead characters. Her first two books are from the perspective of the werewolves but in the 3rd book she switches to the perspective of a witch you met in the 2nd book. It's a really cool way to keep the same universe and not have your story lines get really boring or overly dramatic or sexual. In fact, the witch Paige who narrates the 3rd novel is someone you didn't particularly like in the novel before. What a great idea!

She is also releasing her first YA novel this year (July 1 in fact). There's a contest here to win a copy of it. You just have to share if you 'got' the ending of the Sixth Sense movie. I'm pretty excited. I have a feeling she won't 'dumb down' her YA lit and I always appreciate that.

Bibliography:

Otherworld Novels
Bitten (narrator: Elena)
Stolen (narrator: Elena)
Dime Store Magic (narrator: Paige)
Industrial Magic (narrator: Paige)
Haunted (narrator: Eve)
Chaotic (novella in "Dates from Hell", narrator: Hope)
Broken (narrator: Elena)
No Humans Involved (narrator: Jaime)
Twilight (story in "Many Bloody Returns", narrator: Cassandra)
Stalked (story in "My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon", narrator: Clay)

Personal Demon (narrators: Hope & Lucas)


Nadia Stafford Novels
Exit Strategy
Made to be Broken (Spring '09)

Darkest Powers Trilogy - Young Adult
The Summoning (July 1, 2008)
The Awakening (May 2009)

No comments: