This was one of two pictures I could find of her. Kind of cute I think. Obviously several years old.If you like fairy tales you'll love Robin McKinley. Even besides her subject matter, her writing style just screams fairy tale. I've read some of her books several times and one of them I can never quite tell if I love the story or not but it still calls to me (Deerskin).
Ok I'll tell you my real mixed feelings about Deerskin. I think I love it but I don't know if I'd recommend it, certainly not to just anyone. It deals with an awful rape (I think they're all awful but this one is really bad). It also deals with a love of dogs, and having 3 I definately understand that.
I love her strong women characters. They start out less than ordinary and become great with the help of, but not controlled by, men. I noticed as I looked at her bibliography I haven't read any of her recent books- I must repent!She is married to author, Peter Dickinson. Here's a quote from an article about him, "Many of his protagonists are female. He says, "...women are more observant. I think that girls are much more aware of social matters than boys, and therefore make much more interesting observers."" What a cutie.
Bibliography:
Chalise (2008)
Dragonhaven (2007)
Sunshine (2003)
Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits (2002)
Spindle's End (2000)
Rose Daughter (1997)
A Knot in the Grain (1994)
Deerskin (1993)
The Outlaw of Sherwood (1988)
Imaginary Lands (1986)
The Hero and the Crown (1985) The Blue Sword (1982)
The Door in the Hedge (1981)
Beauty: A retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast (1978)
2 comments:
Absolutely LOVE Robin McKinley - she might just be one of my favorite authors ever. I just finished Spindle's End and loved it - you can borrow it if you would like (if you haven't read it yet). I must try to find her other books. I haven't read some of her recent ones either.
I too love love love Robin Mckinley. And Spindle's End is amazing! I love how she takes a fairy tale and twists it so it's not your predictable outcome like Disney. Anyways, I love it!
Post a Comment