I've been trying to decide who to write about this week and I had almost decided on Walter Dean Myers except I haven't read enough of his book. I've read a lot of his books but he's written way more than just 'a lot'. I feel I can't do him justice until I read a few more of his books.
But I was thinking about him quite a lot so I decided to write about a book that mentions him and is written by Sharon Creech, another great young adult/children's author.
Love that Dog by Sharon Creech is a book I would recommend to everyone!!! It's a book in free form poetry about a little boy who doesn't want to write poetry cause that's a 'girl thing'. He is then surprised to find out that the journal entries he's been doing are poetry. They're simple and beautiful (and if I taught Elementary or Jr. High kids I would for sure read this book).He eventually writes a poem called 'Love That Dog' modeled after Walter Dean Myers' poem, 'Love That Boy'. We get to meet Walter Dean Myers in the book and I can tell you I have seldom been so excited to meet someone in real life.
Anyway it's a short, easy read and teaches poetry and how simple it can be. In school I always hated the poetry sections because although I didn't mind reading poetry, I HATED writing it. I never felt like mine was good enough. This book would have helped me to feel differently.
No comments:
Post a Comment