Ok so two things lead me to blog this morning:
#1- Britney Spears won VMA Best Video for "Piece of Me"
#2- I am losing my mind (and possibly my husband)
Here's my train of thought (don't be worried if you get lost- it doesn't make much sense).
I never liked Britney Spears. I didn't like the Back Street Boys or N'Sync or 98 Degrees etc. I pretended slight enthusiasm about N'Sync at one point cause my friends were so into them but I think even they realized I was feigning minimal interest.
Anyway so while I've been familiar with Britney Spear's 'music' for quite a while I've never been that interested in her until the hailstorm of bad press started. It was ridiculous! People were saying and doing the most horrible things to that girl. I'm making no judgement calls on her behavior but I can imagine few things she could have done to be eligible for the anger directed at her. Just awful.
So when "Piece of Me" came out it was the first Britney song I had ever liked. It was probably the first she actually meant when she sang it. I just love the underlying anger and attitude.
So how that relates to my life is this...I have had one of those weeks. Not just the odd bad day or grumpy meeting or irrational emotional ridiculousness but everything for a full week. It started innocently with a slightly grumpy Sunday morning last week. Nothing earth-shatteing but overall unhappiness. It wasn't fun but I didn't worry too much since those days happen and sometimes there's just not much you can do about it.
But then Monday sucked too. I was angry I was sad I was grumpy and I was likely to kill the next person who expected me to do ANYTHING. Seriously crazy.Tuesday was just as bad.
and then came Wednesday...
Wednesday I had Cub Scouts. I love my Cub Scouts. They're cute and nice and mostly listen to what I say and don't cause trouble etc. However, early on Wednesday I got a call saying the YM/YW huge 2 ward combined activity had to be moved inside because of weather. The Cub Scouts have the gym reserved from 6 to 7 and the YM/YW wanted to know if they could use it. I told my person they could have all but one sliver of the gym by the stage (I needed it for my activity). As far as I knew the matter was closed.
So I get to the church and start my activity with my boys. They're doing great. They listen and help and have fun. It was awesome. But about 630 someone comes in to ask when we'll be done so they can have this part of the gym also. I tell them I'll be here til 7 then they can have it. 5 mins later another person. Now, lest anyone think these people haven't been told I'm in there, I have SIGNS the say "Cub Scouts meeting- Do Not Enter", posted on both doors. I'm starting to get frustrated (please also remember these are 7 year old boys- every distraction results in 5 minutes of getting them back on task).
At 745 a leader from the other ward (whom I completely confess to having previous issues with due to some events a year ago with my sister) opens the partition and asks when we'll be done. I say we'll be done at 7. At 750 she asks if we're done yet (at this point she's starting to kill my Cub Scout buzz). At 755 she asks if we're done yet- when I answer her this time, trying to keep my temper, she says "what???" because aparently she can't hear me. I repeat myself she again doesn't hear me. At this point I tell her (rather loudly) that we'll be done at 7 and CLOSE THE DOOR!!! It's possible I could have been calmer but unlikely.
At 7 I leave the room, letting them know I'm done. If they had stopped bugging me to begin with I would probably have been done at 645 or so.
So I breathe deeply talk to some parents and get ready to leave. The person in my organiztion stops me and wants to talk about changing room usage and times for scouts. She says, "I was told by ___ that we need to be out of the rooms by 645 so the YM/YW can set up for their activities that start at 7". I am not kidding- I almost threw down right then and there (do you see how on a normal week Wednesday this might have been amusing). Seriously, I barely restrained myself from finding ___ and telling her my very strong opinions on the subject. I told the lady in my organiztion we couldn't move our time and I would continue to use the gym we had reserved until 7. I said "YM/YW is not more important than Cub Scouts. I have no problem if there is a special event and they tell me in advance, adjusting my schedule to help them out."
So I'll skip the rest of the week. Let me assure you it did not get better. Work sucked, classes sucked, people sucked, errands sucked, my house sucked. Overall there were several annoying things that happened but nothing worthy of the anger or distress they produced in me. I feel as though I'm starting the day one step before 'the straw that broke the camel's back'. One thing happens and my day is shot. It's crazy. And of course if anyone suffers for my bad mood it is my husband. He's probably asking to be tranfered to Russia without me.
So the moral of this story is...I'm losing my mind...and be nicer to Britney Spears.
3 comments:
Wow that is annoying. And seriously, do they always need to set up 15 minutes in advance? I don't think so. I'm sure Nate has no intentions of moving to Russia and that things will get better. Now I must watch this Britney Spears video...
Oh Dang it- I'm SO SO SO sorry. I was there at YW and I didn't realize that you were on the other end. It was a crazy night. We were supposed to go Ice Blocking with both wards combined. Then the hurricane made the weather too cold so we had to move inside. We had like 40 grumpy kids who were supposed to do something SUPER fun being forced to play in the gym. Then we made them sit in half of the gym while they waited VERY impatiently for us to get started. We should have done a better job of keeping them occupied but they couldn't play the game without the use of the whole gym. We heard word that it was just a "few" boy scouts who were in the other part so we were sitting there thinking why couldn't they move. SO I'm SO sorry. It was all miscommunication and a BIG misunderstanding on our part- you had it reserved and it was your right. The YM/YW are in NO WAY better than the scouts- it was just a terrible situation. SORRY!!! And I think I know the person you were talking about and I too have had a few issues with them... And I never knew this hidden obsession with Britney- yikes- just kidding. Thats awesome.
Melissa- you're so nice. I know that 99% of the people in the other side of the gym were just doing their best to take care of their activity. I'm not even all that upset anymore (except at that same person...) but thanks for apologizing (not that you had anything to apologize for)-it made me feel better. :)
Post a Comment