Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cali

This Sunday our dog Cali died.

She had learned to climb first our 6 foot chain link fence and then the 8 foot wooden fence. So Nate had her on a chain staked into the ground. The chain was also attached to the kiddie pool they get water from outside. Cali got her stake out of the ground and drug the pool over to the fence to jump over it. The chain was too short or got caught and she broke her neck.

I honestly don't know how to write about this. It is breaking my heart.

Nate got Cali for me the Christmas we were engaged. He picked her out at the animal shelter and took her on the airplane with him out to California, where we were spending Christmas with my family. She was such a cute puppy, only 3 months old. My dad has two big dogs: Titus, a black lab mix and Max a HUGE German shepherd. They tried to boss Cali the whole time and we had to watch to make sure Max wasn't going to assert his dominance too forcefully. However one of the last days we were there Cali got up on the couch (a no-no) and got into the coffee my Uncle Blake had left out. She then tried to take on Max. She was probably 1/6th his size. Since then she always thought she was a big dog that could take on anyone.

Leaving California we drove back to Oklahoma, caravaning with my sister Amber. We got caught in a huge snow storm. One night we were on the freeway all night stuck in the traffic caused by the weather closing the highway. Cali was great. She had the most comfortable seat in the car (the whole back seat) and never made a mess or anything. The next night when we finally got to a hotel room (the last place available) I was scared they wouldn't allow animals so we tried to sneak Cali in. I wrapped her all up in a blanket and carried her to our room through the back door. At that moment the office manager decided to walk back there and Cali barked at him. I automatically said 'excuse me' as if I had sneezed or something. So funny! He of course knew and they just called to tell us they were adding the animal deposit onto our bill. I should have just asked to begin with.

After we were back in Oklahoma there was 3 months before Nate and I got married. Those were hard nights. I was house-sitting so it was a strange place and Nate had to leave every night to go back to his parent's house. Cali slept with me every night keeping me warm (something was wrong with their heater) and safe.

Through the next several months 4 more dogs came into ours lives for us to care for. Cali was always the boss.

Last autumn Cali was in heat and while she couldn't get out of the yard she got some other dog to sneak in. She got pregnant and had 10 puppies while we were visiting Nate's sister, Laura. She was such a good mommy. She cared for all 10 and trusted us moving her and them 2 days after they were born into the car for a 4 hour drive back home. She often seemed exhausted but all her puppies were healthy and happy. We kept one of her puppies, Hoss, which I am now very grateful for.

Cali was beautiful. People at the dog park would always comment about her beautiful reddish coat. She had the most muscular thighs. She was a big baby and always wanted to be a lap dog- even after she got up to 65 lbs. She just wanted to be snuggled down next to you all the time. She loved to run and play and if you threw her in the water she would run around like a crazy dog for several minutes after.

She was our baby since we don't have kids. I miss her so much. I don't know exactly what I believe about animals after death but I know she's happy somewhere and it's only me mourning because I don't get to see her. I love her.

PS In place of Favorite Author Fridays this week I'll just encourage you to read Marley & Me by John Grogan

5 comments:

Almostgreat said...

Brandi.... I don't know what to say. I am so sorry. I know what it is like to have to say goodbye to a beloved pet. (Especially when they are children substitutes.) If I was there I would take you to Braum's and we would drown our sorrows in hot fudge. In fact we will when I come in December!! Feel love and comfort hugs coming your way from Africa. If you just want to talk or be talked to call me. Mom has my number if you don't. I am usually up till around 5 or 5:30 your time. Love you and miss you.

Rachel said...

Brandi,
I'm super sad for you. I would be way sad if our dog Charlie died. I know it's not the same, but at least you have her puppies. If you need anything let me know.

Melissa said...

Oh I am so sorry and I'm even more sorry that I never got to meet Cali- she sounds like such a great dog. We really are so sorry! So beautiful.

Aubrey said...

Oh Brandie - I know how much you love your dogs and especially Cali. Carlin says there is a quote by Joseph Smith that basically says animals have spirits and that they will all go to heaven since they don't make mistakes like us.

whit said...

oh man, that is never fun... animals are awesome and it's sad when they go. sounds like a great dog!