Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Books, Art and Music

This past weekend I read a great children's book, The Mysterious Benedict Society, by Trenton Lee Stewart. I loved this book. It reminded me of the beginning books in the Series of Unfortunate Events series, before things got weird and started lacking direction. The children are not perfect but are extraordinary. The plot was fun and engaging. I really liked it.

Here's a synopsis from Books and Movies:

"Reynie Muldoon is an extremely bright orphan. He has been bored at his boarding school, and only the specialized education given to him by his tutor, Miss Perumal, has kept him challenged. When she sees an ad in the newspaper that reads, “ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES?” she encourages him to attend the test. Reynie is chosen, along with three other students, for the special opportunity - but he has no idea what it is."

While reading about the author in the back of the book (and taking the test to see if I, too, was extraordinary) I came across the information about the illustrator. It was Carson Ellis who also does the illustrations for one of my favorite bands, The Decemberists. What a small world!!!

So in celebration of this I will post one of my favorite Decemberist songs and urge you to listen to it while reading The Mysterious Benedict Society.



PS The second book in the series is on its way out so watch for it!!!

No comments: