Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Couple Quick Notes...

1. Something you probably didn't know about pregnancy unless you've been pregnant before:

"Blood Volume increases progressively from 6-8 weeks gestation (pregnancy) and reaches a maximum at approximately 32-34 weeks with little change thereafter... Hormonal changes to the mucosal vasculature of the respiratory tract lead to capillary engorgement and swelling of the lining in the nose, oropharynx, larynx, and trachea. Symptoms of nasal congestion, voice change and upper respiratory tract infection may prevail throughout gestation. " (from Oxford College site)
What that means to regular people is this...bloody snot (as my friend Sheena calls it) or sometimes bloody noses. This was a huge problem for me in early pregnancy since few things increase nausea like the faint taste of blood in the back of your throat. Ewww.

Yesterday, however, it became a different problem. My in-laws gave me a gift card to Old Navy for my birthday and I decided to go there after scouts looking for a swim suit. While in the dressing room in a swim top and totally different bottoms (over my regular undies) I got a bloody nose. Normally this is not a problem because I usually have a tissue or six in my bag. No tissues in my bag. No small pieces of paper. No anything! I am standing in the Old Navy dressing room trying to stop my nose from bleeding all over clothes I don't own. Finally I had to use my black shirt I had been wearing that day to hold against my nose and wipe myself off. It was disgusting, especially since I had to wear that shirt after I changed back out of the swim suits. So fun.

2. As noted in the story above, I went to Old Navy yesterday and there I found out they are having a sale on all dresses and skirts making them $15!!! Old Navy is where I got my flow-y purple dress we used in the preggo pictures. If you are pregnant or freakishly tall and skinny (the only 2 groups of people who look good in that style of dress) you should go pick one up.
3. An addendum to the story about Greek/Roman Fashion Show. I've been thinking about that year of school ever since I wrote that story yesterday. That was also the year I was really skinny and some girls were just starting to actually look like girls. I remember praying the following:

I would rather be a little chubby and have boobs and nice knees (for some reason knees were really important to me that year) than to stay skinny with little boobs and knobby knees. Ahhh the issues that come with getting what you asked for.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Where do you find these pictures! Man! Sorry about the bloody nose- and that is a fantasic dress- and a great deal! I love the saying- and I agree.