Friday, August 14, 2009

Things I Love About Neil Gaiman...

This is in an effort to rectify the embarrassing previous post where I plugged the recent book I had read/listened to by Neil Gaiman but thought I had already waxed eloquently about him and so neglected to tell you why you should AT THIS MOMENT be stalking him...

1. He's dreamy. He's won Hot Daddy Blogger a couple years running. I'm not usually into the artistic type but his crazy hair and penchant for black shirts leaves me all aflutter.

2. He wrote both The Graveyard Book and Coraline, two scary children's books. He's bringing back the ghost story for kids in a world where we white-wash everything but the violence and sex they see on TV.
3. He raises bees.

4. Wrote a song with Amanda Palmer called "I Google You". Was adorably awkward in posting on his blog that they were dating (about 2/3's of the way down in the post).


5. Does awesome children's picture books. We got Brad (Nate's dad) The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish. I desperately want The Dangerous Alphabet.

6. Works with Black Phoenix Trading Post on jewelry and scents to benefit Alzheimer's research.

7. Wrote Death: The Time of Your Life, one of the few comics I've ever really liked. I love words so comics are hard for me but this one was beautiful. Also wrote The Sandman which I will one day force myself to read, knowing I will love it in the end.
8. Rescued a dog. When he found out the dogs owner considered the dog "a nuisance" he adopted him. Also has several cats.

9. Seems to have good, happy relationships with his daughters (I love a great dad). Also has a son- I'm assuming that's a good relationship too but I've heard about him less. Spoke very respectfully about his ex-wife.

10. Wrote Stardust and several other great novels, audio books, theater pieces, movies scripts and comics. Written about by Tori Amos in numerous songs.

For more information visit his website. Or his children's book website, Mouse Circus.

2 comments:

whitney said...

You make me laugh, in a good sort of way.

Aubrey said...

He is kind of dreamy...